10 June 2009

Things 40, 41, 42

I am trying out so many new things doing this program. I looked through the music sites on Thing 42 but I am not a music listener, a music lover, yes, but not a music listener. I only listen in the car and there I have a favorite AM oldies channel and I am not in the car for long periods of time on a regular basis. I am happy to listen to my cassettes over and over and over again without bothering to change them. I have a favorite Chopin tape. The piece containing "The Death March" is not somber but triumphant and I can listen to it again and again, unless, of course, I have passengers with me. Anyway, I read up on the music sites which I know are very popular with everyone but me and I'm glad to be more familiar with some of those sites, but I have neither the equipment nor the inclination to use them myself at this time.
The mashups have been fun. I signed up with Lifestream and added several of the sites I use. I just did that today so I don't yet know if I'll like it or use it. I'll give it a month. It sounds good on paper, or should I say computer?

I have been checking out mashups. I found some interesting ones and have been playing around a little. Some of them are cute but not worth checking again. The Lunchbox and the Wheel of Food were two I looked at. The Wheel of Food was fun to play with but that's about all and the Lunchbox only listed two places to eat in town. There are many more, but that's okay because I don't eat out anyway. I definitely want to learn and do more with mashups later when (if) I have more time but I really want to cover all these things. For now I will be happy to have some knowledge of many things and later, gain more specific skills.
I heard an interview with a professor of media relating to journalism. I don't remember her name, college, or the exact title of the class she taught, but she said than in her last class of 80 some students, only four of them used twitter and most had not even heard of delicious and she named a lot of other sites that I have been investigating through the "Things" and found her students were unaware of most of them. I know more than the average college student that has grown up on computers and I don't even own one. That amazes me.